Cleanliness is the basic necessity of life and it plays a vital role in common health and its stability. If one wishes for a healthy and attractive home, a hygienic workplace, then he should work on keeping it clean. It is perceived that environmentally friendly homes are essential to staying away from lethal diseases and microorganisms. A neat and clean workplace motivates the employees to work efficiently and enthusiastically. Everyone likes a clean and healthy home and office. People use different products to make their houses clean. However, the wise decision is to choose Sustainable products that make a green home. There are a lot of cleaning products available in the market. However, they leave harmful residues that contribute to the global warming effect. Whereas now, as the world has been revolutionizing, many Organic cleaning supplies have been discovered that are accessible and affordable for everyone.
Benefits of Eco-friendly Cleaning Products:
The eco-friendly cleaning products come with different healthy, financial, and economic benefits that one should understand.
- These products are chemical-free, so they do not leave any devastating residues; that’s why they are safe for making a Green home.
- They protect the circulatory system of our body. Dishwashing soaps, detergents, and other household cleaning products have chemicals that enter our body when it comes in contact with skin. They have glycerin, which cuts off the grease and makes the hands soft too while cleaning. That’s why these organic cleaning supplies are safe for the skin.
- They are hypoallergenic; they do not have any harmful dyes and fragrances to which some people are sensitive. The natural eco-friendly detergents are best for allergic people.
- They are chemical-free so, they contribute to the greenhouse effect; they do not exhibit any harmful ingredients.
- The eco-friendly cleaning products reduce air, land, and water pollution. It also contributes to minimizing ozone depletion. It promotes the recycling process and minimizes water and raw material wastage.
- If you want to make green products at home, most ingredients are available in our household pantry; for example, lemon, baking soda, and vinegar can be used to clean our dishes.
- They are safe for asthma patients because conventional cleaners leave chemical residues behind which contribute to respiratory disorders. The organic cleaning supplies do not leave any chemicals behind in the air.
What are the Best Natural Cleaning Products – Make Them Yourself?
One can make their own Sustainable cleaners to make green homes. But before you start making your own cleaning products, it is best to know what to add and what not to add to your products. The conventional cleaning products contain at least one of the following ingredients:
- 1,4 – DIOXANE (carcinogenic and found in detergents)
- QUATERNARY AMMONIUM COMPOUND (stimulates asthma and found in spray cleaners and clothes softeners).
- CHLORINE BLEACH (carcinogenic, can cause respiratory and neurological disorders. Also combine with ammonia and form harmful gases vapors)
- FORMALDEHYDE (carcinogenic and used as a preservative)
- PERCHLOROETHYLENE (carcinogenic and neurotoxin and used as stain remover)
- AMMONIA (It can cause skin and respiratory mucosa irritation)
- ANTIBACTERIALS (Can cause bacterial resistance)
- 2 – BUTOXYETHANOL (It can cause skin and eyes irritation and is present in washing powders, stove cleaners, and degreasers)
- ARTIFICIAL FRAGRANCES (can cause asthma and allergic reaction).
The above-mentioned ingredients are harmful to human and animal health. These ingredients are not to be part of your natural cleaning supplies. However, there are some safe ingredients which can be used to make a homemade cleaner. Some are:
- BAKING SODA (Cleans stains and softens grease)
- CASTILE SOAP (avoid using soaps that contain petroleum distillates)
- LEMON (Due to its acidic property, lemon is used to kill bacteria)
- WHITE VINEGAR (It cuts off grease and stains and inhibits wax buildup)
- WASHING SODA (It cleans tiles, sinks, and tubs, but it cannot be used on aluminum)
- VEGETABLE AND OLIVE OIL (It is used in wood polish)
- ALCOHOL (It is the best disinfectant. Used as odor remover)
- CORNSTARCH (It is widely used to clean carpets, rugs, windows, and polishing of furniture)
- OXYGEN BLEACH (It is used to remove stains and whitens clothes)
- HYDROGEN PEROXIDE (It is used to clean the kitchen and bathroom, but it should be used with care as it can lead to skin and eyes irritation)
Here are some methods for making sustainable cleaners at home with organic cleaning supplies.
- All-Purpose Cleaner:
1/2 cup vinegar mixed with 1/4 cup baking soda in 2 liters water.
This mixture is used to remove water stains from bathroom mirrors, shower stands, and walls. Apply with a natural fiber cloth.
- Air Freshener:
Baking soda or vinegar in lemon juice absorbs an unpleasant smell
Some plants also remove toxins and foul odor from the home
Simmering vinegar in half a cup of water on the stove eliminates fish and onion odor during cooking
Fresh coffee beans on the counter may also help.
Place a slice of lemon in your garbage cabinet to reduce the smell.
- Bathroom Mold Remover
One part hydrogen peroxide with 2 parts water is sprayed over the tiles for 1 hour and then rinse with water. Any build on your washroom tiles will be removed.
- Carpet Freshener
Sprinkle 10-20 drops of essential oil in one cup of baking soda. Give it rest for a few hours.
- Stains Remover For Carpets
Spray white vinegar with equal water and then clean with warm soapy water. For grease, use cornstarch before vacuum. For heavy cleaning, mix 1/4 cup borax, salt, and vinegar and rub all over your carpet; leave for a few hours.
- Chopping Block Cleaner
Rub the block with a lemon slice and rinse with water.
- Coffee And Tea Stains
Boil the utensils with two cups of water and half a cup of vinegar, then clean with a cloth.
- For Washing Nappies
Soaking used baby nappies in water with half a cup of baking soda can remove stains and odor for a few hours. It also prevents children from hazardous detergent reactions.
Mix baking soda, washing soda, and kosher salt equally and clean with water.
Mix 2 teaspoon borax, 4 tablespoon vinegar in 3 cups of hot water. Apply this solution with a damp cloth to any surface.
- To Clear Drains
In case of light drain blockage, half a cup of salt in hot 1-gallon water is poured to clear the passage. For heavy drain blockage, first, pour 1/2 cup baking soda, then half cup vinegar, and then add boiling water. This will dissolve the fatty acids and water will remove all the residues. Unfortunately, these methods are for metal pipes only.
- Rust Remover
Spray a mixture of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, then leaves it over the night. Scrub it off with an abrasive sponge or cloth. Another method is to apply lemon juice, cover it with salt and leave overnight, rinse with water.
Add 2 cups washing soda with grated one Castile soap of 5 ounces. Use 1 tablespoon for light load and 2 tablespoons for heavy load.
How do you tell if a Cleaning Product is Green?
Everyone is concerned for their home and the health of their family members and when it comes to selecting utensils, grocery, and household cleaners, one should be well aware of what they are consuming. For healthy living, the home and workplace must be clean. Some manufacturers provide a list of ingredients so that consumers can decide whether the product is safe for their family or not. Usually, organic cleaning supplies do not have artificial dyes and fragrances, phosphate, triclosan, mineral oil, and chlorine.
Here are some important points to check while selecting a green cleaner:
Read the safety data sheet. This sheet states that:
- It is biodegradable; that is, it can be decomposed into organic components.
- This cleaner is not harmful to the environment.
- It is anticarcinogenic.
- It is non-hazardous for aquatic life.
- Check the packing and the symbol of recycling on the package. It indicates whether it is biodegradable or not. Also, look for the third authority certification.
- Investigate the manufacturing procedure, the companies’ location, and how they deal with the waste products.
- Hazardous materials have a precautionary note to handle properly, so if any product has this note, then it should be considered a non-green cleaner.
17 Best Brands for Green Cleaning
The conventional cleaners contain many harmful toxins and on decomposition, they yield hazardous waste products. These gases and wastes contribute to land, air, and water pollution. Many researchers have discovered some natural green ingredients that can be used as organic cleaning supplies.
Here is the list of some sustainable cleaners that contain organic cleaning supplies and make environmentally friendly homes. （Alphabetically）
1. Better Life :
If you are looking for a green cleaner for windows, fireplace, and countertops, you can look at the products of the brand Better life. It has:
- An all-purpose cleaner ($5.59 and cleans grease, comes in unscented and pomegranate scent)
- Dish soap ($4.79, wipes grease, it is sulfate-free)
- Floor cleaner ($5.59, without fuss and fumes )
- Glass cleaner ($5.59, for fingerprints, smudges, and dirt)
- Toilet bowl cleaner ($4.79, removes rings and banish buildups)
- Tub and tile cleaner ($5.59, contains tea tree and eucalyptus)
- Granite and stone cleaner ($4.79)
- Stain and odor eliminator ($5.59, contains eucalyptus and lemongrass)
- Wood polish ($5.59, contains cinnamon and lavender oil)
- Stainless steel polish ($5.19)
- Nursery cleaner ($5.59, removes spots and smells)
- Laundry detergent ($12.79, removes dirt and is unscented)
- Hand and body soap ($3.99)
- Hand and body lotion ($3.99, contains Aloe Vera and Vitamin E).
2. Blue Land:
As stated in the slogan, it is a gift for nature to make a green home. This brand has started a new trend of refills, that means you do not need to buy plastic bottles every time, only bring your old bottles and pay for the refill only. The aim is to reduce the amount of plastics used. Dish soaps are also available in tablet form. The primary products are:
- Soap tablets
- Dishwasher powder
- Laundry tablets
3. Branch Basics:
The brand has Organic cleaning supplies that are safe for humans and the planet. The products are plant and mineral-based, biodegradable, toxin-free, with no artificial fragrances. They do not perform animal testing, so you can use it with no guilt. They have a vast range of green cleaners. They have hand and body soaps, dishwashing liquids, and laundry detergents.
This brand is well known for its fragrances. The products are parabens, ammonia, chlorine bleach, phosphates, formaldehyde, phthalates, and petroleum distillates free. All products have biodegradable components. They contribute to environmentally friendly homes. They have hand and body soaps, dishwashing liquids, and laundry detergents.
The company manufactures hand and body soaps, dishwashing liquids, and laundry detergents. It contains all Sustainable cleaners that are plant-based and essential oils for fragrance. The products do not contain any dyes, EDTA, and chlorine. The plant extracts cuts off the grease from the dishes. The airscense neutralizes unpleasant odors and gives a sweet fragrance.
Cleancult cleaners are the third party approved green cleaners, which are plant-based and dispatched in recyclable cartons. They provide a non-shattering glass bottle with a protective silicone sleeve. They are available at your doorstep whenever you need them. The manufacturing procedure is based on cococlean technology, which means they utilize the antimicrobial and antifungal coconut properties. They are the best to make a green home. They have hand and body soaps, dishwashing liquids, and laundry detergents.
7. Common Good:
Common Good has all products necessary for environmentally friendly homes. It includes all-purpose cleaners, dishwashing soaps and liquids, laundry detergents, hand and bath soaps, sanitizer, and drying balls. They are available in plastic-free containers to reduce toxins from the environment.
They are the winner of EPA’s safer choice partner of the year. They are free of all toxins and nasty stuff. Available in plastic-free bottles and the shipments are carbon-free. They have fabric softeners, laundry detergents, baby sensitive detergents, dishwasher detergents.
They have hand soaps, laundry detergents, household cleaners, air fresheners, carpet fresheners, floor cleaners, and steel polishes that are gluten, BPA free and free from animal cruelty. They have the top ranking in the Eco scale by greenseal.org and EWG.org.
They have all the organic cleaning supplies with no toxins and harmful ingredients. They are hypoallergenic, biodegradable green cleaners. They have given a labeled description of every product with all the ingredients mentioned. They have hand and body soaps, dishwashing liquids, and laundry detergents.
Ecover aims to make cleaning safe for the environment. The laundry detergents and softeners are available in various fragrances. The company first discovered detergents that are phosphate-free and makes plastic from sugarcane. They are contributing well to making sustainable cleaners that are green.
12. Jr Watkins:
This is an all in one brand; they have all the essential products for home care. The product range includes:
- Hand soaps: With the proven advanced formula for cleaning germs, bacteria, and viruses.
- Hand creams: Best for dry and sensitive skin for all-season nourishment.
- Aromatherapy shower mist: Best and economical for everyday use.
- Body Polish: Cleans small pores of the overall body for a magical smoothness.
- Bath elixirs: Excellent and eco-friendly product for everyday use.
- Cough and cold remedy: Excellent for adults and kids for the winter season.
- Lip balm: Excellent product for smooth and soft lips. Specially designed for dry lips.
- Foot salve: Best for smoothing the feet.
- Petro carb: It is very handy and useful in case of emergency.
- Pain relief: Excellent and fast pain reliever.
All are available at an affordable enough price.
METHOD has hand and body soaps, dishwashing liquids, and laundry detergents. They have biodegradable ingredients that are; it decomposes within 28 days into benign components. They are certified by Cradle to Cradle. All the products are sustainable cleaners. All are hypoallergenic. They use recyclable ocean plastic for bottles and use refill technology.
14. Mrs. Meyers Kitchen Basics Set:
They contain olive and essential oils, Aloe Vera and are paraben-free. They also have surface cleaners that contribute to green home. They have hand and body soaps, dishwashing liquids, and laundry detergents.
15. Pur Home:
They have all the natural green ingredients such as Aloe Vera leaf juice, water, calcium carbonate, capryl glucoside, orange peel oil, lemon peel oil, coconut oil, cocoa- glucoside, lemongrass oil, glycerin, juniper berry, lavender oil, tea tree, peppermint leaf oil, xanthan gum. All these ingredients are used to meet the different needs of cleaners. They have hand and body soaps, dishwashing liquids, and laundry detergents. They have the Leap bunny certification as well. The bottles they use are recyclable. The products are safe for kids and pets.
16. Seventh Generation:
Seventh Generation is a USDA certified brand. The company uses plant derivatives to make green cleaners. They have everything required for green home. They have hand and body soaps, dishwashing liquids, and laundry detergents. Deodorants and scents are also a part of the product line. They have USDA certified diapers and wipes. The company also sells organic cotton odor-free sanitary pads and pantyliners. Paper towels for the kitchen and bathroom are also manufactured here. It has a range of trash bags of all sizes.
97% cleaner by Veles is made up of food wastage (water, lactic acid, acetic acid, and alcohol), and the rest 3% consists of essential oils. They have no petrochemicals and gas emissions. They have hand and body soaps, dishwashing liquids, and laundry detergents. They are dispatched in high-quality aluminum bottles.